My Mini-Documentary Fully Completed- Mamoon Khan

This is the intial set-up of the video editing software, Adobe Premier CS6. This is before any video making, editing etc. has begun.

As I roll out my new mini-documentary, another assignment has dawned upon our Biology Seminar class. Our new task is to make a script for our video. To do this, Mr.McNulty provided us with a template that the Penn News Network team uses to make their own script. With this template pre-made for us, it is time for us to get to work. The left column(as you will see in the completed copy below) is the space to put stills (screenshots) and on the right is the column for us to write our script for the corresponding image representing the spot in the video that needs the voice over. Essentially the script is an outline for what needs to be said (voice over of video) and at what time in the video.

The Adobe Premier editing software interface.

With this knowledge, I was on my way to produce my very own script. I added the 6 screenshots I acquired from my mini-documentary in an earlier phase and put them in separate columns as markers for points in the video. Next, I wrote about a short paragraph for the script for each of the six sections next to the designated images. It was a surprisingly simple and quick project to accomplish, and I was very satisfied with the finished product as well.

 

This is a shot from the outside of Notre Dame University.

Now, after I completed my script it was time for me to revisit my documentary and voice over the video. I utilized my independent study time in study hall to take a trip down to the PNN room to voice over my project, as this would allow me to not have to worry about it during class. Mr. McNulty hooked me up with a microphone, and then I was off. It took me a couple minutes to finish the voice recording and place it as one of the audio slots. I then did this and exported the whole video to Google Drive, I knew that there would be no time for me to edit the whole thing.

This is a presentation Dr. Archie presented to the students.

Over the period of a couple class days, I edited the voice over to correlate with my documentary. I then ran into a two problems. The first one was that my voice over was about 30 seconds over the actual video footage. This, however, was an easy fix. All I had to do was find some space fillers so that it all worked out. So, what I did was use a couple of still shots and some extended video footage to serve as these space fillers. I edited and clipped some of the videos and still shots so that my project looked a little better. The first problem was solved.

Dr. Habig is explaining what he does as a scientist.

The second issue was that some of the original footage of my documentary was terrible quality. With time constraints and a lack of a solution, I was not able to find a solution for this. Those specific videos were bloated and zoomed in just enough to mess up the resolution of my documentary. All though this was only in a couple spots, as I replaced most of it with space fillers, it was enough to be noticeable.

The students are collaborating to find answers to an activity.

——–Now with my video fully finished and exported. All I had to do was upload it to YouTube. This was simple. I just clicked the little upload button in the right corner to upload the video from my computer. I added some tags, a title, and a description, and voila! I was done! Below, I have embedded my video so that the viewer of this post does not need to click a link out of the tab. Enjoy!

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s